Trying to cook without dairy, soy, eggs or nuts can be hard work but this delicious dairy, soy, egg and nut free chocolate cake is the perfect treat!
This was the cake I made for Miss J’s first birthday, her first ever taste of chocolate, and her first ever cake, so it was kind of a big deal!
I made a test batch during the week before her birthday, and it too worked out perfectly and was delicious!
**Please note that Miss J has been fine eating dairy, soy free chocolate, that has “may contain traces”, on the recommendation of our allergist we have been feeding her ‘may contain’ foods, with no adverse results. I would stress to anyone using this recipe, please use the chocolate that best suits your situation re traces.
- 1½ cups plain flour, sifted
- 1½ cups self raising flour
- 1 cup caster sugar
- ½ cup cocoa (the best quality u can get)
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups non dairy/soy/nut milk (I used rice, but will use oat for next one)
- ½ cup oil (I used rice bran oil)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- ½ avocado, mashed
- 1 cup chopped dairy free chocolate, melted (I used the 70% Lindt Dessert Cooking Chocolate, it has no dairy and tastes better than the 'special' dairy free choc, can buy at supermarket)
- Mix all dry ingredients together. Make a well in the centre.
- Add wet ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Bake in 8" round pans at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Bake cupcakes for approx. 25-30 minutes.
- Use skewer to test if cooked, add an extra 5 mins if needed
The recipe for the frosting HERE.
You can read more about our allergy journey here.